Below is a presentation I gave at a company-wide meetup, covering all the nuances of language when communicating with users via text.
Video, Part 1
Video, Part 2
Here are the topics covered:
1. Kindergarten Taught Us Wrong
2. Walk a Mile in Their Head
- How tech-savvy is the user?
- What is the user’s communication style?
- How resistant is the user?
- Who does the user blame for their issues?
- Have we made a fair assessment of the user’s mindset?
3. Convey Warmth and Friendliness (When Appropriate)
- A proper greeting
- Suggest instead of command
- “Need” versus “want”
- Avoid accusations
- Smileys and exclamation points
- Mirror the user’s communication style
4. The Delicate Art of Saying “No”
- The Power of “Because”
- Turn “no” into a positive
- Ask for clarification
- Offer alternatives
5. Create Empathy
- Direct users to support pages in a reassuring manner
- Reflect back the user’s concerns
- Keep empathy and explanations separate
Annotated slide deck